Thursday, May 7, 2015

Stripe Rust Reaches Tetonia

Yesterday afternoon I was at the Tetonia Research Station rating winter wheat for snow mold, and I noticed stripe rust on some lines that were from Washington State’s pathology program. I don’t know the line names / pedigree of infected lines.

The stripe rust was on both lower leaves and mid-canopy on plants that were late tillering to jointing. It is possible that the infection overwintered, however I was there April 21, and saw no evidence of stripe rust. The snow mold infections were pretty good, with many of the overwintering leaves destroyed. I think this is an early spring infection (this season). The nursery is being destroyed today, so that should remove the source. However, if I had susceptible lines of spring or winter wheat, I would be spraying fungicides at herbicide application.

The current temperatures are conducive to infection, and these localized thunderstorms will assist in spread and the moisture conditions that promote infection.

Please see the appendices in the 2014 Small Grains Report for last year’s ratings of the spring wheat lines: http://www.uidaho.edu/extension/cereals/scseidaho/sgr


Please let me know if you see stripe rust in your area!

Juliet Marshall, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Cereals Pathology and Agronomy

Idaho Falls R&E Center
1776 Science Drive Suite 205
Idaho Falls, ID 83402
208-529-8376 office
208-390-4859 cell

No comments:

Post a Comment